Q: How do you activate or deactivate the Belt-Minder® system?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do you activate or deactivate the Belt-Minder® system?

Your car’s Belt-Minder® system provides important alerts that increase your safety by reminding you about buckling up. However, there may be times that you need to deactivate (and then reactivate) the system. Here’s how:

• Make sure the ignition is off.

• Make sure the parking brake is set.

• Make sure you’re in Park or Neutral (Neutral is for manual transmissions only).

• Make sure both the driver and passenger belts are unbuckled.

1. Turn the ignition to ON but don’t crank it.

2. Wait for 60 seconds until the Seat Belt light goes out.

3. You will deactivate the system for the driver and passenger seat independently. For the seat in question, buckle and then immediately unbuckle the belt three times (the belt should end up unbuckled).

4. Watch for the Air Bag light to go out.

5. Buckle the belt and then unbuckle it within seven seconds.

6. Watch for the Air Bag light to flash four times.

Tip

To reactivate the Belt-Minder® for that seating position, repeat those steps.