Q: I unhook the positive cable to the battery to stop the engine from running did it affect any of the electrical components or anyth

The car has electrical issues and electrical problems the motor you couldn't shut it off it will not go into Park . I took the positive cable off in order to try to shut the car off I couldn't get to the negative post . The car over heated and started smoking. Do you think that there was any serious damage done . It's off now putting the positive cable back on put the vehicle it in park. And shut the engine off

You may have caused electrical voltage spikes in the system. If you could not get the vehicle to go in park, then you may have a transmission or computer system failure and can be covered under one of the recalls that may be active on this vehicle. You should contact the local dealer and advise them of your vehicle will not go in park and want recalls done. Do not mention that you disconnected the battery while if was running or you may void the warranty. There may be as many as three recalls active for the electrical system and transmission on this vehicle so get in touch with the dealer.

• I unhook the positive cable to the battery to stop the engine from running did it affect any of the electrical components or anyth