Q: can i drive with a code P1383

asked by on May 02, 2017

I took it to a mechanic and found out that i need to have the variable camshaft timing solenoid replaced in my car. i ordered the part and am waiting for it to come in. I only work 5 miles away from home and was wondering if it would be ok just to drive for a week in it to work and back. do not know much about this part and what it does or controls

If the check engine light is not flashing it is OK to drive the car with the particular code you have noted during the limited interval you are describing. A flashing check engine light would signify constant misfiring and you would not want to drive the car in that scenario. A non-flashing light signifies a fault that should be repaired "soon" and with regard to that code, a week is soon enough. Please not that that code has multiple possible causes and consequently the solenoid is not always the issue. The solenoid has to be directly tested and ALL other possible causes of the code ruled out. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr