Q: Console shifter in park position but shows in Drive on dashboard display.

asked by on December 14, 2016

I pulled up to my garage. Placed the car in park, got out and manually opened the garage door. I got pack in the xar, placed the transmission in "S" to move into the garage. Stopped and placed the gear shift in park but the display reflects the vehicle was still in "S". I shut the vehicle off so it woykd not move. I cannot start the vehicle now as it is still in "S". I disconnected the battery to see if it would reset something. It did not.

Your car will not crank if the PCM and BCM don’t see the transmission is in neutral or park. A part of the gear selector system has failed causing the car to believe it is still in s mode. Located in the center console is a gear position module that communicates with several other modules. Diagnosing this system requires a scanner capable of accessing modules beyond the PCM (powertrain control module). The PCM is what most scanners access to read engine codes. All other modules require a professional level scanner that is very expensive.

Since your car is three years old, many independent shops and technicians will not have access to your cars systems. With that said, that doesn’t mean someone won’t be able to fix your car. Do to the electronic nature of this system, it will need to be diagnosed by a qualified technician.

I will have customer service contact you to see if there is a technician capable of diagnosis your car in your area. If not, you will need to go a dealer.

Thanks for your question.