Q: Clunking noises in the rear wheel area

Hello,

I've had these clunking noises in the back of my car, mostly when I'm going over bumps or making turns.

I was certain these noises were coming from the rear wheel area, so I brought my car in for another opinion, and I ended up getting my rear struts replaced. I noticed some differences, however I'm hearing these clunking noises again. What else do you think could be causing this?

Thank you!

-Evander

Hello Evander, This is a common sign of a failing CV joint. A CV (Constant Velocity) joint is a shaft that connects the transmission to the wheels, essentially transferring the power from the drive train directly to the wheels. The CV joint is packed with a special grease and sealed tight with the rubber or plastic boot, that is held in place with two clamps. The most common problem with the CV joints is when the protective boot cracks or gets damaged. Once this happens, the grease comes out and moisture and dirt get in, causing the CV joint to wear faster and eventually fail due to lack of lubrication and corrosion. When the CV joint becomes damaged or worn, you may hear a clicking or popping sound coming from this area. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your CV joints.

3. Clunking noises in the rear wheel area