Q: My engine accelerates while in park and while driving

asked by on February 12, 2017

I turn on the engine, my rpms start to rise and go back down. It accelerates on its own without putting my foot on the pedal.when I'm driving on the streets it accelerates like a jumping forward motion.

Engine idle speed is high Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. It sounds like the idle air control system is faulty. It sounds like it’s sticking in a higher position and causing the concern you’re experiencing. Are there any warning lights illuminated? If so, this is a good place to start as stored codes lead the diagnostics to a specific system for testing. If there is no light on and no codes, then the idle air control valve is most likely stuck. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a high idle inspection.