Q: Higher rpm than usual

asked by on October 15, 2016

At highway speeds my car is going about 500 rpm over what it usually runs and its giving a little jerking of the car. Not exyreme jerking just enough to where i feel it. What could this be?

This may be a sign of a failing mass air flow sensor. The mass air flow sensor is a unit in the intake system that monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. When this fails, this can cause an imbalanced air/fuel load to be supplied to the motor which often times results in the engine starving for air or fuel. This is what causes the hesitation or loss of power you describe. This can also cause the engine to struggle to idle for the same reason. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose and replace this sensor.