Q: Clunking noise front left tire on my way home tonight from work. Pulled over couldn't see anything hanging off.

Driving home tonight on the highway and my front left tire starts making clunking noise I stop and pull over look underneath at the tire and notice nothing hanging. I get back on the highway and noise did not start back up

Check the shock absorbers on the front and see if they are leaking. If they are leaking, then I recommend replacing the shock absorbers. When a shock absorber fails, the wheel will not stay in contact with the road as the shock absorber is designed to stop or slow down coil oscillations.

If the shock absorbers are in good condition, then check the front CV Shafts and see if the boot has been broken open and or if it is damaged. An outer joint to a CV Shaft that is damaged will cause the wheel to have a knocking noise as the wheel extends into a pot hole or over a bump and may be heard under heavy turning conditions.

If you need further assistance with a clunking noise on or near the left front wheel, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

• Clunking noise front left tire on my way home tonight from work. Pulled over couldn't see anything hanging off.