I started my car earlier to back out of a parking space a...

I started my car earlier to back out of a parking space and it allowed me to back up, then it jerked as I put it in drive. From there, I lost power steering, and use of my [brakes](/topics-brakes/)/gas pedal. My car was rolling fo...

I started my car earlier to back out of a parking space and it allowed me to back up, then it jerked as I put it in drive. From there, I lost power steering, and use of my [brakes](/topics-brakes/)/gas pedal. My car was rolling forward as if it were in neutral but pressing the braces wouldn’t stop it from moving Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate? I’m not sure, I put my car in park and shut the [engine](/topics-engine-chevy/) off. When I turned it back on, everything worked again. I’m just not sure what would cause that to happen Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car? Chevrolet HHR 2009 Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your HHR yourself? What have you tried so far? I haven’t tried anything yet, it happened after dark and I figured it’d be safer to work in daylight

Automotive Expert
Howdy from Tennessee, I'm Chris aka Moose. Who am I helping today? I'm glad you've come here to get help. I will do my best to get the answer you are looking for. I help many customers, so sometimes my replies are delayed, I will respond once available. I try to be online at 1-5 pm and 10 pm-5 am every day. - You mentioned you shifted to park and shut the engine off. - Are you sure the engine was in fact still running? I ask because all the symptoms point to the engine not running because it stalled.

My name is \*\*\*\*\* \*\*\*\*\* I think my engine was still running, it's never done that before and all of my lights/sensors were still working. It's an automatic if that makes a difference

I was backing out of a parking space when it happened. I don't know what would've caused it to stall if I hadn't turned the key into the off position yet
Automotive Expert
Hello, Hope I believe the concern here is going to be an intermittent low-pressure issue within the transmission that has caused the converter clutch to engage prematurely. My suggestion is to service the transmission fluid than do some system cleanups on the engine to get it running its best. [https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2cimvb2blyqgnj/Air%20Fuel%20System%20Service.png?dl=0](https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2cimvb2blyqgnj/Air%20Fuel%20System%20Service.png?dl=0) Thank you for seeking us for help, I hope I provided what was needed. Press reply if you need to follow up. If you liked my answer please let me know so I can mark your question complete. Moose
Automotive Expert
Checking in with you. Please let me know if you liked my answer, or need more help.

Yeah, thank you
Automotive Expert
Glad to help