Q: Check engine light is on and the car does not want to drive

The cars light came on and the car would not drive faster than 35mph. Stopped the car and tried to drive it again and the transmission did not want to go into drive allowed the car to sit for a couple of days and light is still on but I was able to drive the car down the block. I'm not sure where to take it to not get ripped off . Do I take it somewhere to get the engine light checked or just take it to a transmission place. The is not alot of money in the buget to fix the car. I am sure what to do I'm new to the city and not had a lot of luck with finding a mechanic.

3. Check engine light is on and the car does not want to drive