Q: Check engine light flashed 10 times then went off when car was started

My car was sitting for about a day. I started it, all lights went on like normal, but the "check engine" light flashed on and off many times even after all the other lights went off. What could this be? I read it means go to an inspector but all the websites say it will stay flashing on and off..it only flashed a few times.

Can the diagnosis tool still work if the light is not activly on, does it store codes? Thanks

Generally, the check engine light comes on when something fairly serious is going on with the vehicle. This can happen for many different reasons such as a faulty mass air flow sensor, a faulty O2 sensor, a bad catalytic converter, bad spark plugs or spark plug wires and many other reasons. Due to the wide range of possibilities for the check engine light to come on, the best and most efficient way to narrow down the scope of what may be causing this is to have the vehicle hooked up to a scanning tool to download any potential fault codes that may have registered in the computer. This will allow a mechanic to determine more specifically what to look for in diagnosing your vehicle. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to determine what may be causing your check engine light to come on.

3. Check engine light flashed 10 times then went off when car was started