Q: changing timing belt on 10 year old car with 52k miles, not required till 102 k but decade old belt= bad?

The recommendation to change timing belt is 102k miles, i'm only at 52k. But the car is 10 years old, do timing belts get brittle with age, especially in texas heat? Or are the belts very resilient and should be ok? It is an interference engine, so if the belt goes, so does my engine?

My suggestion would be to take a close look at the belt for microscopic cracks or signs of deterioration. If anything is noted, I would spend the money and replace it as this is a relatively cheap "insurance policy" against the possibility of failure resulting in thousands of dollars of potential damage should it fail. As you know, with this generation of interference engines, a broken belt can cause a nightmare of damage. If you would like to replace your timing belt, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to perform this service.

• changing timing belt on 10 year old car with 52k miles, not required till 102 k but decade old belt= bad?