Q: Torn lower ball joints and torn tie rods - 2006 Nissan Sentra

One year and 3 months ago (8/15; 187329 miles) the local Nissan Dealership explained my Driver and Passenger Side Lower Ball Joints were starting to crack, and the Driver and Passenger Side Tie Rods were starting to crack.

Less than a year later (4/16; 203103 miles) I had the car at the local AAMCO, and had them replace (per their reccommendation) the Tie Rod Boots and Lower Ball Joint Boots.

Today (11/16; 218200 miles), the Nissan dealership is still reccommending to replace the Lower Ball Joints and Tie Rods.

My questions are: What work did AAMCO perform for me to benefit my car if the Lower Ball Joints / Tie Rods still need replacing? Since my car's value is only a little over the price Nissan wants to replace the parts; how long can I keep driving my car safely?

Thanks, Ryan

Hi there. Unfortunately, diagnosing what type of service may have been performed by a different mechanic without physically inspecting the vehicle is difficult, as is knowing how long your vehicle can be driven with worn out ball joints and tie rods. The problem with worn out suspension parts is that they can fail and break, which can cause an unsafe driving situation.

It might be a better idea to have a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to inspect all the front end components for damage and give you an idea as to how much longer you can drive your vehicle before you must replace the damaged parts or buy a new vehicle.