Q: Changing gears - 2009 Nissan Altima

Today it cranked run fine. Cranked again and it wouldn't change out of first gear. RPMS would go up but not change out. Drove it home slowly in first gear. Any suggestions

Hello. There are a few common causes of this on your vehicle. Most of the time it is caused by an issue with the transmission fluid being old or contaminated or it may be a problem with one of the speed sensors. Being that it has the CVT transmission it may also be that it is failing. I usually check the computer for codes first.

There are some pressure codes that commonly come up and those will pertain to a transmission failure. If those codes are not present, then I check the fluid. If the fluid is really dark, then the transmission may be failing.

If not then I check the signals from the sensors to see if they are reading correctly. If you want to have this shifting problem checked out, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose this shifting problem.