Q: Car wont start for locksmith because the computer system has to be reset due to sitting for so long, so he can read the codes?

asked by on March 08, 2017

I have a 1997 ford expedition. Well one of my kids lost the key somehow. I called a locksmith to come out and make a new one. No transponder on it, so it should've been easy. Well..... It was taking him forever to get it done and start it and he said with older Ford's like mine that have been sitting to long that the whole computer has to be reset to read some codes so he can do the key and it'll start? He told me of a place to get it done at. And that after it should start. But I can't afford to get my car towed to the next city over. I have 7 children so I really don't need to spend a lot of money and need it for apptointments and etc.... Is this true what he's saying ? And is there any way I could reset the whole entire computer system myself so he can read the code to cut my key?

It would be much easier to visit your local dealer to have the keys cut. The dealer will have all of the information necessary to have a key cut for you by the vehicle identification umber or VIN number. You can walk in with the necessary information that shows your ownership of the vehicle and walk out with a key already cut to match your vehicle without having to tow it to the dealership.