Q: Told oil separator in 2009 Volkswagon EOS is clogged and needs replacing. Should an oil change be done also at time of repair?

2009 Volkswagen Eos had a loud screeching noise, especially when idling. Thought it was a belt but was told that the oil separator was clogged and needed replaced. Asked if they were going to do an oil change at the same time and they said no, but would do one for me at an additional charge. Is this normal? Also, would this cause an oil leak?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The oil should be changed at the same time as the oil separator is replaced. The separator is not located in a place where the oil needs to be drained to access it, so they may not include an oil change in the procedure. Chances are if the oil separator is clogged, the oil will not be in the best of conditions either, as its job is to collect and clean the engine components from these types of clogs. The part may not directly cause an oil leak, but it may cause the engine oil to be vaporized at a high rate. This will in turn cause the oil to be processed or burned in the engine. For more help with the repair, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. Told oil separator in 2009 Volkswagon EOS is clogged and needs replacing. Should an oil change be done also at time of repair?