Q: Brakes causing screeching noise?

I have a chevy Malibu 08 and I recently had an oil change to it and also had the recall parts fixed too a couple weeks ago. But now whenever I brake there's a loud screeching sound to it and I'm not sure if it's the brakes or not. I would really rather not take it to the shop again unless I really need. But Hopefully someone could help me with this situation. Thank you!

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

A: Hi and thank you for contacting YourMechani...

Hi and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. A loud screeching noise coming from your brakes is caused from a couple of issues. First - consider the last time the brake pads were changed. If it has been a while there is a good possibility that the pads are worn down to the rivet and what you are hearing is the metal rivet contacting your rotors.

If you have just recently had a brake job, brake dust will cause a screeching noise also. There is a paste that can be applied to the brake pads during installation to help quite this sound.

If you would consider, YourMechanic can send a certified technician to you and inspect your brake pads and perform any necessary repairs. Thank you!