Q: Why won't my car stay running when it is cold

I have a new heavy duty battery I have nothing plunged in the lighter it starts perfectly in warm weather but will not start in cold weather it makes a clicking sound but will not start it doesn't grind or whirl but if I take another battery in it it will start but I have to keep revving the motor till it warms up then it runs like brand new my question is why does it have to be warmed up to stay running?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle may be suffering from several different issues. Depending on how cold the weather is, you may want to consider setting your car up for colder weather. This would include a thinner oil, new spark plugs, and proper anti-freeze. The battery issue you explained is a little confusing. If your new battery does not start the vehicle, but another battery does, you likely need to get a new or different battery. Look for one with a higher cold crank amps rating. All vehicles need more fuel and advanced spark timing when the engine is cold. Once the vehicle has started, you may want to have it scanned for codes. If you have any issues or codes from temperature sensors, this will also effect the starting and running conditions of the engine. These may need to be tested or replaced as well. Only further testing will tell.