Q: I have a vehicle where the battery is brand new, I had it tested, whereas the battery is putting out 11.9 volts. But when I go to

asked by on August 31, 2017

My car is not cranking but the battery is good, it might be the alternator, I just need to know if it is a starter or alternator issue. I was driving it for a bit, but when I went to go home the battery light was flashing, then it just stayed on. Now its not going anywhere. Works with a jump, but once I shut it off, I need another jump.

You are likely having issues with your charging system. Considering you have a new battery, your alternator may be to blame. Keep in mind, that the symptoms you are having are more commonly seen with battery failure. For this reason, start by making sure your battery connections are clean, dry, tight, and perfect. Secondly, have the alternator tested at a local parts store. If the alternator tests to be good, then you can measure the voltage available at the starter, and or remove it to have it tested as well. For more help with diagnostics and repairs, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.