Q: Car wont start--check engine, oil pressure, and battery light all on

asked by on March 03, 2017

Last night I was driving home from work and the oil pressure light started flickering whenever I would turn corners. However, if I was to stop at a red light with my foot on the brake, it would come on and stay on, but as soon as I started to accelerate again it would go off. It never made any sort of noise though. I did some research and figured it was probably a sending unit error. I checked the oil level this morning and it was totally fine, however, when I went to start my car it wouldn't start. The oil pressure light, battery light, and check engine light all came on. The car wont turn over or make any sort of noise. Can someone please tell me what the problem may be? I'm not sure how many miles are on it, but I was going to get the oil changed this weekend, but now I'm unable to.

Hi There, If your oil pressure falls below a specific level, the ECM (car’s computer) will automatically shut the engine down to avoid further damage to the engine. This is done as a safety precaution. Typically, the oil pressure light will come on when you are in fact low on oil, the oil pump is not pumping oil properly or in some cases when the oil pressure sensor is faulty providing a false reading. In any case, this should be looked at as soon as possible by a qualified mechanic. I would suggest having one of our experts here at YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle.