Q: stuck in first gear

asked by on June 13, 2016

I can't get my mercedes to shift out of first gear. I was able to park the car and turn off the ignition switch. Then when I restarted the car the transmission would shift into all the other gears. Changing from gear to gear has more impact than normal. What is the cause of this?

For this issue I would first recommend having your transmission inspected by a certified professional. There are a number of things including faulty shift solenoids, low fluid level, or catastrophic damage that could be causing your transmission to have these issues.

A transmission diagnostic expert would be able to determine which type of damage has occurred and the best way to repair it. Many times the repair can be as simple as replacing a solenoid and the fluid. Other times this repair may involve rebuilding or replacing the entire transmission. Expert diagnostics are important in this matter to avoid replacing a whole transmission if you don’t have to.

If you’d like a second opinion on this, contact a certified technician who will be able to diagnose your shifting issue firsthand to get a better idea of the actual issue.