Q: Car won't start. Could a sensor be at fault?

2006 nissian not starting we were told it coulf be a sensor its been running on 3 cillenders miss firing at times.

With the limited information available, I can only assume that no testing has been done at this point in time. You will want to start by running a scan for codes. This will tell you of any electrical issues the computer has detected.

If a sensor has failed, you will likely see it here. There is a strong possibility that something electrical is at fault. If this scan turns out negative, you will need to look into the fuel, air, and spark systems. The fuel system consists of the pump, filter, injectors, and lines (for the most part).

When you first turn the key to on (before attempting to start it), listen for the faint "whirling" of the fuel pump priming. If you do not hear this your pump may have failed.

Does pressing on the gas make a difference? Due to the fact you were running with one cylinder down to begin with, you will want to try the spark system next. Visually inspect the plugs and wires for moisture, damage, or engine grime. These will all cause a bad connection to one or more of the plugs.

The distributor may also be at fault, and you should inspect it for damages as well. The issue may not be visible, so just because it looks alright doesn’t mean its working.

There are many other steps you will need to take in order to properly diagnose an issue like this. Consider having your car’s no start condition properly diagnosed at your location by one of our mobile technicians.