Q: Car won't start 2002 Toyota Camry

asked by on February 25, 2017

2 weeks ago I came out of work and I couldn't unlock my car. I got the battery jumped and it was okay. Last night I'm at the gas station at Costco and I fill the car up. I go to start it and it won't start. It seemed like the battery again. My car was jump started and worked but shook a little. I bought a battery from Costco and the gentlemen who jumped the car replaced the battery. The car wouldn't started with the new battery. It would run for a second or two then stop. It made clicking noises while i turned the key and it attempted to run. After several attempts he put the old battery back in and jump started the car. It started but shook a lot. I drove it through the parking lot for a while and got to a safe place and when I stopped the car it shut off. I started it again. It shut off again. Unless my foot was on the accelerator it wouldn't stay on. If I needed to brake, it shut off.
Any suggestions? Thank you!

Hello - your symptoms are a bit confusing. The "starts, but shuts off rather quickly" behavior could be a security system problem with your key. The stalling when slowing or stopped could be dirty throttle body, malfunctioning idle air control valve, or other fuel supply issues. I recommend a hard starting inspection to get to the bottom of this, performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.