Q: Car will turn over but not start, 2002 Chevrolet Impala

I just finished replacing the head gasket and timing chain on my car. When I finally got it back together I ran it down the road but it died. We had forgotten to reattach the regulator to the alternator. We jumped it off and I drove for another hour. It drove well. I shut it off when I got home and could not restart it 10 minutes later. The car turns over but will not start. The car starts with starter fluid but immediately shuts off when the fluid burns off. I replaced the fuel filter and checked the pump. I have replaced the MAP and MAF sensors. Still no change.

You need to have the fuel pressure tested to see if you are getting fuel pressure to the engine. You may have burned the fuel pump up by running it on low voltage and then jumping the car which could have surged it with voltage and burned it out. I have seen may vehicles get damaged by jump starts, often times burning electronic parts and damaging them. Make sure you do not have a theft light on when starting the car, or you may need to have this system reset by a factory type scanner at a dealer with special codes. If you need a technician to come to your car’s location for a repair, a certified pro from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose your starting issue and help follow through with the appropriate repair.