Q: Over tightened and broke exhaust rocker bolt, what can I do?

Hi, I was changing the injectors on my 2006 ram 3500 with a 5.9 cummins. All was going well and I was reassembling the whole thing but as I was tightening the number 3 exhaust rocker the bolt broke off. I was using a torque wrench and it had not clicked yet. The wrench is properly calibrated. The bolt broke off down where I cannot see it at all. What can I do? Can I try to drill down into the hole and use a bolt extractor? Or is something I need to take to a shop? Will the head have to be removed and did I ruin my engine?

Hi there. This is a very difficult question to answer since we are not able to see the damage that occurred. If you broke the bolt, it’s possible that debris may have fallen down the oil galleys into the block. If this is the case, you’ll have to take it to a machine shop and they will need to remove the cylinder heads to try and find debris. It’s probably best to defer to their judgement here if you’re not able to find all debris from the bolt that broke.

3. Over tightened and broke exhaust rocker bolt, what can I do?