Q: Oil pressure gague on 0 and check engine light on

Hi my oil gauge in my car is not working and my check engine light came on too??I'm afraid to drive it to the shop to get it check out. This just happened today.I was wondering if it was ok to drive it to get my car looked at? Thanks

Hi There, It sounds like one of two things are happening. Either the motor is in fact low on oil or the oil pressure sending unit is not working properly and may be producing a faulty reading. I would recommend first, to check the actual oil level in the motor by using the dipstick. Be sure the oil level reaches the "full" mark. If this registers as "full" then you likely have a faulty oil pressure sending unit. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to determine what may be causing your low oil pressure light to come on.

3. Oil pressure gague on 0 and check engine light on