Q: 2012 Nissan Maxima- Code P1778- Drive speed at 60 the RPM shows 4

driving at speed 60 the RPM is at 4. If you go faster on interstate like 80 the RPM will go over 5. you have to pull the car over and let it sit for an hour before driving again. Then you can drive it under 55 the RPM will stay at 2 but I dont know for how long because the service engine light has come on with code P1778. I gauges do not show the car running hot. When the issue happens and the RPMs go up I stop driving the car because I do not want to blow up the car. Do you have any ideas or suggestion for the issue? Thanks, Woods

The code P1778 is due to a problem with the step motor actuators inside the CVT transmission not moving the pulleys to a higher gear position and this is why your engine is revving too high. you will need to have a transmission specialist mechanic check the transmission to see if it needs replaced since most CVT transmissions cannot be rebuilt or most mechanics will not rebuild them.

3. 2012 Nissan Maxima- Code P1778- Drive speed at 60 the RPM shows 4