Q: Car will not crank or start

Battery is good, fuses are good, lights work windows work everything but radio. Turn key nothing

A no crank situation can be caused by a couple of different components. The ignition switch may be shorted or worn internally. It may be able to power accessories in the On position, but the Start position within the switch may be worn, shorted, or broken. Even though the ignition is turning to the Start position, there can be no electrical contact within it, so the starter will not get a signal to crank the engine. Another possibility can be the starter itself. It can develop a "dead spot" internally. A dead spot is a particular spot that has worn or maybe broke off, so electrical contact is not made. What happens is when the starter stops spinning after cranking the engine and lands on that dead spot, the starter will not crank the engine. Sometimes tapping the starter can get it to start. If the starter is visible under the hood or easily reached under the car, try this.

Grab a friend and a small hammer. While one of you tries to start the engine - holding the ignition in the Start position, have the other lightly tap the starter with the hammer. Sometimes that will get the internals of the starter to move a bit, make contact and start the engine. If this doesn’t work, then it may be best to have a certified technician look into why the vehicle will not start.

3. Car will not crank or start