Q: Car starts up fine after 15 mins it starts pinging/ticking very loud

Hello ive been working on a friends car for the past 2 weeks it all started with an o2 sensor (driver side) getting replaced the cel light didnt go off and the pinging started it has never done that since my friend owned the car over 3 years now. I told him to go to autozone to get it checked out again and to look for more codes. He came back and told me that the car started misfiring and same code for o2. We changed the spark plugs, and the other side of the o2(passenger). Then the cel went off we were glad that was over but the pinging hasnt gone away. He changed one side of the camshaft sensor (drivers side) with an is350 part and it didnt ping as he says i wasnt there but he had to put the sensor back in his sisters car so we went and got a cam position sensor. pinging Still hasnt gone away told him dont recommend driving the car but he has places to go has no choice he comes back to tell me the car sounds rough and drives rough i need advice feels like im at fault. What do i do

A: Hello there, pinging can become a serious e...

Hello there, pinging can become a serious engine problem with your 2007 Lexus GS350. You have done well so far in diagnosing this problem, but the root cause still remains.

If the sensors have been replaced than the issue is with the engine itself not the sensors. The most likely causes for engine pinging are a lean condition, excess carbon buildup, vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks, ignition timing advanced, or an overheating engine.

At this point the best bet would be to have the vehicle diagnosed professionally before any more parts are replaced. A qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose the rough running and pinging issues and make any repairs required.

Until the problem is resolved the vehicle should not be driven, as it can become damaged by the pinging, also called pre detonation.