Q: Car started lurching and sputtering while driving

asked by on February 02, 2016

My Jeep just started lurching and sputtering while driving. Got it to completely turn over once after it died on the road. Since then I've tried, and it'll start firing intermittently but can't get it to fully start. I got a P0107 OBD code, so it's a manifold pressure issue.

There’s an easy way to see if the MAP sensor is to blame and that is to disconnect it. Then try to start the engine. The engine will run without it using other sensors. But from your description, that doesn’t sound like the culprit. I would focus on parts that the engine can not run without. I’m going to assume the problem is not mechanical. Check the ignition coil for a strong spark and the coil wire going to the distributor. The most likely part would be the crankshaft position sensor. They usually fail when hot and can give the PCM a “dirty” signal. Enough to make it sputter, but not start. They can be checked with a lab scope or you could just try one. A qualified mechanic from YourMechanic can come out and diagnose your car’s starting issue and determine what repairs are needed.