Q: car runs hot and sometimes have to shake battery to start sometimes

I have brought an new battery, water pump and a used alternator and a new thermostat. My car runs hot after driving for maybe 10 mins, it doest shoot water out or anything it'll just go back down for a little while then back up again. i do sometimes smell like a metal smell when it gets hot. With the battery sometimes it just cuts off in the middle of the road i have to get out and shake the battery. I did get the black battery post changed but not the red one. the red one is the really thin post and the black one i brought is really thick. could it be the post on the battery or is it the wires to the battery or what?

Hi and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. It sounds like your thermostat may be sticking. I would recommend replacing the thermostat first. You may possibly need a coolant system flush. This will clear any clogged water passages in your engine. If your car is shutting down unexpectedly it is most likely a ground issue. I see you have just bought a new battery, but make sure there are no battery cracks, leaks, or loose terminals. Getting out and having to shake the battery to get it to start again is a good indication of a bad ground. You can test this with a multi meter - you need to have at least 12.5 volts (13.5 - 14.5 optimum) when touching the red lead of the multi meter to the positive terminal on the battery and the black lead of the multi meter to the ground point at the end of the black negative battery cable. If you need assistance, YourMechanic can send a certified technician to you and perform these tests and make any necessary repairs. Thank you.