Q: car runs hot and sometimes have to shake battery to start sometimes

I have brought an new battery, water pump and a used alternator and a new thermostat. My car runs hot after driving for maybe 10 mins, it doest shoot water out or anything it'll just go back down for a little while then back up again. i do sometimes smell like a metal smell when it gets hot. With the battery sometimes it just cuts off in the middle of the road i have to get out and shake the battery. I did get the black battery post changed but not the red one. the red one is the really thin post and the black one i brought is really thick. could it be the post on the battery or is it the wires to the battery or what?

3. car runs hot and sometimes have to shake battery to start sometimes