Q: Battery went dead. Replaced battery. Engine and battery lights are on.

asked by on December 18, 2016

Battery went dead. Jump started. Went dead again. Got a new battery. Was able to drive home. But battery and engine lights are on. Was told that alternator needed to be replaced. Battery test reading was 11.4. How much should an alternator and labor cost new or rebuilt? Please advise!!

Alternator Replacement $151.62 - $1237.14 Get a Quote

Hi There, As you know, your problem may be related to a faulty alternator resulting from it not properly charging the battery. This may also be related to a faulty voltage regulator. The voltage regulator regulates the rate at which the alternator charges the battery. When this is not working properly, this may allow the alternator to over or under charge the battery, in either case resulting in the battery failing prematurely. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your charging system.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr