Q: No reverse seems to be stuck in second gear

asked by on June 17, 2017

I was driving and the car was fine someone pulled out in front of me and i had to slam the brake and acidently knocked the shifter in neutral and put it back after stopping there was a small jerk but it always happens and now my reverse dont work and it locks the wheels as if its in park. I can not figure this out the shifter is sitting in the proper place and the shift cable appears to be in working order nothing is loose under the hood. when i shift into reverse there is a big jump and the rpm stays below 3500 and the will not move it rolls no problem in neutral and when i press the gas pedal in any gear except reverse (which does nothing) it tries going forward even in park. Ijust need to know if i can fix it and how or do i need a new transmission

If the vehicle is in gear (moving) while the shift selector is in park that means the shift lever adjustment is off. There is a lever on the transmission that operates the manual valve and that lever has to be checked against the shift lever cable adjustment (i.e., the cable operates the manual valve). To obtain an inspection of the shift selector cable versus the position of the manual valve lever on the transmission, please use this link. If that inspection does not reveal the cause, the mechanic will further pinpoint the issue for you during the same mobile visit. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.