Q: Car only clicking and not starting

My car is not starting. I turn the key in the ignition and it makes a clicking sound somewhere under the hood. I have changed the battery, battery cables, and the alternator. I used to could jump the car, but that is not working any more. do not think it is the security lock because sometimes the car starts up and runs fine, until I turn it off again. In addition, the emergency brake light is on, even though the emergency brake is not up, and the dashboard lights are dim.

A: It appears that you have been trying to res...

It appears that you have been trying to resolve the starting issue with your Honda Civic but have not been able to resolve the issue on your own just yet. The symptoms you describe lead me to believe that your Honda’s initial problem is the starter intermittently failing on you. The alternator is part of the charging system and is needed to function after the vehicle is started, however to start your vehicle you need a good starter and a good healthy battery to crank the engine. The symptom of dim lights may be a result in many unsuccessful attempts at trying to start your vehicle. It is with a situation like this where I feel it may be time to enlist the assistance of a certified mechanic. They will be able to ensure that your battery has an adequate charge so the starting system can be properly inspected in order to determine exactly why your Honda is not starting. Once the source of your symptoms is located, they will be able to assist you in making the necessary repairs so your Civic will start for you every time you get in it.