Q: Trouble shooting distributor or camshaft

I have a 1988 Chevrolet Silvarado C1500 V8 - 5.7

I have been setting the timer to piston # 1 . I crank it a couple of times. I go to check the rotor cap and it is not pointing to piston #1. It resets itself to the opposite side of the rotor cap.

I would greatly appreciate any help or instructions on correcting this error.

This is not an error. The crank shaft goes around two times to the distributor one time. This means if you put the number cylinder on the compression stroke top dead center and line up the distributor then if you rotate the crankshaft one revolution the distributor will point in opposite direction where it was pointing. Then turn crank one more revolution and it will line up again.