Q: Car not shifting into lower gears

The gear shifter will not shift into park or the lower gears. The transmission seems to be working fine, but the shifter does not.

Hi. If the transmission is shifting fine when it is in gear, but the shifter will not achieve all positions then most of the time it is caused by a binding shift cable. A certified mechanic would typically start by disconnecting the cable from the transmission and then see if the shifter moves better. If it does then the problem may be in the transmission. If it still binds then the shifter would need to be taken apart to find the failure. The shifter itself may need to be replaced. I would recommend having a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your shifting troubles in order to have the correct repairs done.