Q: Car not shifting from park into reverse or drive

The shifter handle for my automatic transmission stopped working. It moves, but doesn't go from Park into Reverse or Drive. It doesn't seem to be linking up like it should.

A: Your shifter has a mechanical connection to...

Your shifter has a mechanical connection to the transmission by a cable. When you move the shifter it pulls on a cable and moves the shift assembly on the transmission to put it in the correct gear. If you can move the shifter, but do not feel any resistance and nothing happens, then most of the time it is because this cable broke. Most of the time it breaks at the transmission. It is easiest to check that end first and then if that is fine then the shifter assembly will need to be taken apart to check that end. If you are not comfortable with this, you should enlist the help of a certified mechanic to diagnose your gear shifter issue, like one fromYourMechanic.