Q: Car gets hot after 10 minutes

asked by on February 08, 2016

Car overheats, and the gauge goes to Hot after 10 to 15 minutes.

Hello, this is commonly caused by a failing thermostat. When the thermostat fails it will not allow the coolant to circulate causing the engine to get hot. I typically check the temperature of the radiator hoses to see if the coolant is flowing. It can also be caused by a failing water pump, but that is not as common. If the engine has actually overheated then a block test should be done also to ensure that there are not internal engine issues. If you want to get this checked out, consider using YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the overheating problem.