Q: White smoke from exhaust cold start up

asked by on May 01, 2017

Every morning when I start my truck there is a very very noticeable white smoke that comes out from the exhaust it's not extremely thick yet i can see it clearly. Even when I drive it for a little while the cloud of smoke is still there. It turns to vapor clouds after I run the truck a while. If I start my truck again after i already ran it a few minutes the clouds are not thick it's more like vapor clouds. Is this a major issue?

Hi There, Generally, a white or gray colored smoke is a sign of a potential blown head gasket. A blown head gasket can cause a bit of a vapor to be produced due to the coolant being leaked into the cylinders and being burnt with the rest of the fuel charge. Often times, this will be accompanied by the motor overheating as well due to the lack of sufficient coolant being maintained in the motor. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at the vehicle to properly diagnose.