Q: Car makes clicking noise frequently.

When stopped it makes noise and rpm drops very little and goes back up, also I can feel the slight jolt forward and backward. Then upon acceleration it feel like it's cutting off and about to die. Also does it whole driving, just not as bad.

Check the engine oil level. If low, that will contribute to engine noise such as ticking. The noise may be coming from the valve train and if so could be a consequence of the high miles on the engine. This particular model was prone to developing sludge in the oil and if sludge is present in the engine, such can cause blockages in oil passages and accelerate wear. To get an indication of how much wear there is you can measure the oil pressure and also test cylinder compression. If the test results are out of range low, you might consider rebuilding the engine. If you want the noise precisely pinpointed, just request a vehicle noise diagnostic.

In regard to your question about the high idle, In the majority of vehicles, engine idle speed is controlled by an idle control valve (ICV). The ICV valve can fail or a faulty or blown fuse in other electronically controlled systems can cause the IAC motor to malfunction, leading to a higher than normal engine idle speed. Failures in the ICV valve itself are often due to excessive carbon buildup in the intake manifold. Other possible causes of a high idle include vacuum leaks, a malfunctioning throttle and, rarely, a PCM/ECM malfunction. With regard to vacuum leaks, on a fuel injected engine a vacuum leak will cause a high engine idle as the engine’s oxygen sensor detect the extra oxygen entering the engine through the vacuum leak. The newly lean (too much air relative to fuel) status will result in the engine’s computer pumping in additional fuel, resulting in an abnormally high idle. A malfunctioning throttle system can cause both a high idle as well as an engine stall. A dirty air intake or cracked air intake tube is often the culprit. If you desire that this high idle problem, as well as the near stalls that you have described, be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine idle speed diagnostic - high idle and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Car makes clicking noise frequently.