Q: My alternator reading that the solenoid is bad when I took it off and took it to the shop they did a test on the alternator in the

asked by on October 21, 2016

My alternator is giving a false reading that the solenoid is bad however I took the alternator off and took it to AutoZone and they had it checked

Hi. There could be several things going on here. The battery for the car could be going bad or already is bad, causing the alternator to read low voltage. The battery needs to be tested as well. The fuse for your alternator could be blown as well. This will also cause the alternator to give a false reading. The wiring from the alternator to battery could be broken, have corrosion, or have a short; these things could also cause the problem you have. Without knowledge of the symptoms affecting your car, it is difficult to diagnose any issues with your vehicle; however, a certified YourMechanic technician can be dispatched to your location to inspect your vehicle and suggest any repairs needed.