Q: How do you check the clutch fluid on?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do you check the clutch fluid on?

Like your brakes, your clutch is hydraulic. It needs fluid pressure in order to operate correctly. If the level drops too low, the clutch won’t work correctly and you’ll hear grinding when you attempt to change gears. Here’s what you need to do to check the fluid:

1. Park the car on a level surface.

2. Pull the hood release.

3. Open the hood and use the prop rod to secure it.

4. Locate the clutch reservoir. It should be on the driver side of the firewall, next to the brake master cylinder.

5. Check the fluid level – it should be between the minimum and maximum lines. If it’s below the minimum line, top it off using DOT 3 brake fluid.

Tip

If the fluid is below the minimum line, chances are good that you have significant clutch wear and need to have the system inspected.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr