Q: How do you adjust the steering wheel?

How do you adjust the steering wheel?

A: Your car’s steering wheel is designed to ad...

Your car’s steering wheel is designed to adjust. That gives you the ability to customize your sitting position so that you’re comfortable and can easily reach both the steering wheel and pedals no matter how tall or short you might be. It also ensures that you’re not sitting too close to the steering wheel (which can be dangerous if the air bag deploys). Here’s how to adjust the steering wheel:

1. Reach under the steering wheel to the base of the column where it joins the dash.

2. Locate the Lock lever.

3. Move the lever down.

4. Pull out on the steering wheel to telescope it closer to you, or push in to move it farther away.

5. Lift the wheel up or push it down to position the height correctly.

6. When you’re done, lift the lever back into position to lock the steering wheel.

Tip

Never adjust the steering wheel while you’re driving or you could lose control of the car.