Q: Replaced throttle body in 2010 chevy malibu and now it will not relearn.

asked by on March 16, 2018

I replaced my throttle body and can't get it to relearn. I tried the procedure idle for 3 min, off 60 sec, idle 3 min, off 60 sec, then run for 3 min. After that i can throw it in drive and watch my rpm fall from 3000 to 800 and in park normal idle rpm. But as soon as I hit the gas my rpms go back to 3000. Im wondering if I would need the scan tool to complete the relearn.

Engine idle speed is high Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

On this particular re-learn, the scan tool is helpful because it can re-set learned airflow values to zero. However, as you can see from the Factory Service Manual instructions, merely driving the car after an unsuccessful "re-learn" will cause the new throttle body to learn the correct idle speed. If after following the instructions at the link I cited, idle speed is still too high you can request an engine idle speed diagnostic - high idle and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr