Q: 4 wheel drive is very noisy.

when truck is engaged in 4 wheel drive( 4lo and 4hi) and your driving slow or turning the front end clunks but its fine in 2 wheel drive, transfer case and transmission and front ujoints are all brand new, what could be causing this problem noisy axle or diff? i have not checked the front diff at all

Hi there. Check the front axle for an axle that could be damaged, a universal joint in the front axle that could be broken, or the differential gears could be damaged. If you have part time 4WD, meaning you have locking hubs, then the differential and axles do not turn until the transfer case is selected into 4HI or 4L. If you have full time 4WD, then the axles and differential turns all the time but in a free floating motion until the transfer case is in 4HI or 4L putting power to the axles and differential. Then the noise would be an axle bearing that would only make the noise when loaded, like a flat spot on the bearing. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your clunking noise while in 4WD conditions.