Q: high pitched noise while accelerating

asked by on February 23, 2017

My Town and Country makes a high pitched noise (sounds kind of like a chain) when I accelerate. It doesn't do it constantly but the noise will come and go throughout my acceleration and once I'm at a steady speed it will stop.

Hello, and thank you for writing in. There are a tremendous amount of reasons a vehicle will make excess noise while accelerating. If you think it sounds mechanical, metal on metal, then you may want to look into the transmission. Consider the last time you had a basic transmission fluid and filter change, and if you decide to do this routine maintenance, make sure you check the bottom of the fluid pan for any signs of metal or debris from the transmission. Other possibilities would be a loose timing chain, pre-ignition issues (when the timing or temperature causes the air-fuel mixture to pre-detonate early), a bearing issue, or a drivetrain issue. Only further inspection will tell. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.