Q: Outside of an engine rebuild, what can I do to get high-end horsepower rather than the low-end torque inherent with american cars?

I bought my Mustang, (first car) back in June. I searched for a V6 because I am personally more interested in tuners than the muscle car scene. I soon realized that the high-rev capability present in a lot of Japanese cars is just not there with my Mustang, and I need that high-end power to get the most out of a turbocharging assembly. Do you have any suggestions as to how I could reframe my engine in that way? Thanks!!

Gavin

A: Due to the design of the engine, there’s ...

Hello.

Due to the design of the engine, there’s not much that can be done, aside from completely rebuilding the engine, to achieve high rpm power. Typically V layout engines are designed to provide low end torque and a smooth power band.

The best thing you can do to increase high rpm power is do anything you can to provide better airflow into the engine, as well as a custom tune that will provide adequate fuel and timing to get high rpm power.

If you need help with upgrading your vehicle, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home or office to service your vehicle. Best of luck.