I'm getting an "Oil Pump Pressure Is Low" warning light o...

Q: I'm getting an "Oil Pump Pressure Is Low" warning light on my dash, followed by loud tapping sounds from the engine.

asked by on April 29, 2017

I'm getting the "Oil Pump Pressure Low" light, in red, on my dash, followed by almost immediate loud "tapping" sounds from the engine compartment. Would the oil pump be effected, like loosing its pressure, if my oil pressure sensor was bad? Or, would the pump itself still function OK, regardless of the oil pumps performance? Thank you for your time!

The oil pressure sensor only "reads" and reports pressure. The sensor itself cannot "affect" or "set" pump pressure. If the oil pressure warning light illuminates AND there is coincident unusual engine noise, that almost undoubtedly means that oil pressure really is too low and you should turn off the engine immediately to prevent damage. If the engine oil level is too low, that can cause low pressure so be sure to check the level on the dipstick. If the oil level is OK, then the lubrication system will have to be diagnosed and that would, of course, include consideration of the possibility that your oil pump has failed. To get this resolved, please request an oil pressure diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.