Q: Car exhaust is giving white smoke when I start the car everyday.

Whenever I start the car engine after keeping it overnight, I see cloud of white smoke comes out from exhaust at first and then little bit of smoke keeps on coming for 1 or 2 minutes. But after that I don't see any smoke when I start again. The smoke smells like burning gasoline i mean it smells like something we usually smell in heavy traffic areas. What is the probable reason for this? Is there any problem with the engine or something else?

Hi there:

Typically white smoke is an indicator of coolant or liquid other than oil or fuel inside the combustion chambers. This can be caused by a blown head gasket (if you had an overheating issue recently) or simple air to fuel ratio issues caused by a mass air flow sensor or exhaust system sensors not working correctly. The best way to know for certain what’s causing these issues is to have a professional mechanic complete a smoke from engine or exhaust inspection.