Q: Car engine races intermittently and at start.

Most of the time when I start the car (when engine is cold) the engine races in idle and continues to have RPM's up to 3000. After a few miles the racing is intermittently. Also intermittently at stops, when the tachometer needle is supposed to be in the green zone at 0, it has rpm's of 1000. (Gasoline usage is very bad. Used to get 29 miles/gallon, now 22/23 When the engine is racing it feels like the car is controlling me instead of the other way around. Problem of self acceleration was noticed twice over the last nine years, but only 2 short instances. But lately (last 6 months) started getting worse. Last 4 tank fillings noticed excessive gasoline use. Are your mechanics now operational in my area? Walnut, CA? Last time I checked, this was not the case./ Thank you very much in advance for your reply. Sincerely, Gisela Connelly PS The escape is a hybrid.

Hi there. This is a normal condition for the ECM (computer) to tell the vehicle to run harder to charge the generator battery. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to diagnose the generator battery (the big battery) to see if its holding a charge.